My Best Tips for Traveling with Teens
Now that my kids are a older, our road trip strategy has changed. No longer are my kids confined in car seats and drinking out of sippy cups. Now, they’re more concerned with wifi coverage and comfort than anything else.
- Pack the wifi. When we’re at home, we wouldn’t necessarily encourage the kids to spend hours on end on their devices, but when devices mean the difference between whining and arguing or peace and quiet, then I’m all for the technology. This year, we’ll be traveling with a wifi hotspot so that everyone can connect when needed and we don’t have to worry about going over on our phone plan.
- Pack for comfort. Pillows and blankets may take up a little bit of extra space in the car, but they sure do make the ride more comfortable!
- Listen Together. Pick an audio book that the whole family will enjoy and listen to the audio together. When you take breaks from listening, you’ll have some fun discussion opportunities.
- Be smart about road trip food. We used to pack a cooler full of food for our long road trips, but we found that no one wanted to eat a day old PB&J sandwich. But we also don’t want to spend a fortune stopping at fast food restaurants. Now, we stop at grocery stores and buy a loaf of bread and sandwich fixings (or whatever we’re in the mood for) and stop at a local park to eat. We have made some amazing memories doing that!
- Pack some games and books. Yes, I love technology for keeping everyone quiet, but I also love having a few activities and road trip games that we can do together. Several of us like to crochet in the car, and everyone loves to read on road trips.
- Don’t skimp on the pit stops. There’s value in getting to your destination quickly, but we’ve found that taking time to get out of the car and stretch our legs at regular intervals makes a huge difference in how we feel. So we do. It might take us a little longer to get where we’re going, but we’re happier when we get there. And that’s worth it to us.
- Check the car before you go. No one wants to spend part of the road trip stuck on the side of the road or at a far-away auto shop waiting for the car to be fixed. Yes, things happen on the road, but we want to be as prepared as possible before we set off.
What are some of your road trip tips?
At Autotrader they make the experience of searching for your right car easy and fun! Their team of engaging experts helps take the guesswork out of car shopping and can help car shoppers decide if new, used, or Certified PreOwned is the best choice (Autotrader has more than 4 million listings for new, used and CPO vehicles!).
Car shopping really is an exciting process, and even better these days with the technology to shop on the go and the way YOU want to shop…the key is to do your research and narrow your options! Start by thinking about what you like and don’t like in your current car, and look for the things you’d really love to have in a new car. Then, take that list online to Autotrader to compare cars, prices, and options all in one place, plus you get expert information to help you find the perfect car for you.
On Autotrader, you can review automotive articles and research information on different used car models and compare cars side by side.
- Autotrader lets you search for your next car by the features that matter to you
- You can save your search on Autotrader and pick it back up on any device
- Autotrader does the work for you and will send you alerts when we’ve found a car based on the features you’ve selected or when the price drops on the specific car you are searching for
Connect with Autotrader:
Win the Happy Kids, Happy Ride Kit
**GIVEAWAY CLOSED** This amazing giveaway from Autotrader includes the following items (a $75 value!):
- $25 Visa gift card
- Seat Back Organizer
- Selfie Stick
- First Aid Kit
- Single-use Wet Wipes
Note: This Mama Loves is giving away this same prize kit on her blog! Be sure to note the extra entries you can earn from each of us when you enter both of our giveaways! Double your chances of winning! You may only win one of the giveaways, in the off chance that both blogs pick the same random winner. If that happens, we will chose another winner.
This giveaway will end on January 3, 2016 at 11:59 pm ET, after which a winner will be chosen at random by me and notified via email. Happy travels and good luck!
© 2015 – 2016, Food Fun Family. All rights reserved.