I love to get creative in the kitchen, but I’m more likely to stick with tried and true recipes. But last week when I got a package of Rose Romano’s Italian Peppers, I thought I’d try something new.
My little experiment proved to be a huge success and everyone loved the dinner.
- 12 oz box penne pasta
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- 1 large orange bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 2-3 cups fresh spinach
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- ¼ tsp freshly ground pepper
- ½ lb group Italian sausage
- 1 16-oz jar Rose Romano's Italian peppers (I used red bells)
- 1 16-oz container low fat cottage cheese
- ½ cup mozzarella cheese
- Heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain.
- Crumble sausage in a large skillet and heat til cooked through.
- Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a large skillet. Add peppers, spinach, garlic, and ground pepper, Stir and cook until the peppers are softened and the spinach is wilted.
- Spread a small amount of Rose Romano's gourmet pepper topping on the bottom of a large baking dish.
- Add a layer of penne pasta over the sauce (approximately ⅓ of the cooked pasta).
- Pour about ⅓ of the jar of Rose Romano's sauce on top of the pasta, followed by a layer of sausage and a layer of the spinach/pepper mixture. Finally, add ⅓ of the cottage cheese.
- Repeat the layers 2 more times until all of your ingredients are added.
- Top with mozzarella cheese.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until mozzarella cheese is melted.
- Serve with Parmesan cheese.
Disclosure: Rose Romano’s sent me a gift box with 4 jars of their gourmet Italian pepper topping, but no other compensation was received. Recipe is a Franklin house original.
© 2012, Food Fun Family. All rights reserved.