Despite what some people may think, I am not social by nature. I am the typical introvert who gets worn out by being around crowds of people.
And yet, I have this crazy, conflicted, overwhelming desire to BE SOCIAL. Since I started blogging in 2007, I have been meeting and developing relationships with more people than I have ever interacted with. I love it. And I want to meet all of those new friends. Hence, the desire to go to blogging conferences.
(Yes, I love going to conferences to LEARN from the best, too. It’s not ALL about being social.)
In an amazing turn of events just a few weeks ago, I was able to make my way to Type A Conference, which I had been heard raving reviews about for years.
All of those raving reviews about Type A were correct. It was not too big or too small. It was a great mix of bloggers, with plenty of opportunity to sit and chat, write down tons of notes during some amazing classes, or take a leisurely walk down the streets of Asheville.
My only problem was not taking enough time to sleep. I came back home late Sunday night and was tired, both from lack of sleep and from the rush of being so social for 4 days.
Type A highlights
- Driving the Dodge Caravan – Dodge gave 4 of us a car to drive from Pennsylvania to North Carolina. We loved discovering cool things about the new Dodge (like the back up camera and built-in sun shades on all the back windows). The other thing we loved? The amazing gas mileage it got!! We averaged around 27 miles per gallon, and that’s loaded up with 4 adults and all of our luggage. Disclosure: Dodge supplied the car for us to drive as well as gas cards to get us there and back.
- Being a volunteer – checking badges and working the registration table might not sound like a ton of fun but they were!! It was during my hours of volunteering that I met and chatted with some of my favorite Type A friends. Also? As a badge checker, EVERYONE sees you.
- Meeting the women I’ve bonded with online – emails are great, but hugs are even better.
- The classes – I admit that I did not attend many classes at BlogHer last year. But I had heard that the Type A classes were not-to-miss, and so I made a point of going to all the them. My only complaint is that now my blogging to-do list is longer. Ha!
- Roommate bonding – Some of my favorite moments at conferences are the down times. I love the extra chat time I get with a good roommate. And Janice was a GREAT roommate!
- The food in Asheville – YUM! I’ve never been to so many unique restaurants in one week.
- And of course…..the Just Dance 2 Ubisoft Clever Girls Collective party!
PS – one more amazing highlight of my weekend was being able to share my well-loved mei tai with Christine of From Dates to Diapers. I brought it on a whim and it came in really handy. Now Christine and baby Timmy are borrowing it for a while. I love that my little hand-made mei tai is getting some extra loving!
Have you written a Type A recap post? I’d love to see it! Link up here and I will stop by for a visit.
© 2011, Food Fun Family. All rights reserved.