Despite the heat in the kitchen (our AC is still out!) the kids were begging me to bake some cookies with them yesterday afternoon. I decided that if I had to endure the heat, I’d at least make something fun and festive to enjoy for the 4th of July.
I love making cake mix cookies because they are so simple to throw together and always turn out incredibly moist. I had originally thought about adding red, white and blue sprinkles to a basic cake mix cookie recipe, but since my only sprinkles were brown, I threw that idea out – for now, at least. Instead, I pulled out the red and blue food coloring, added some white chocolate chips for fun, and ended up with some patriotic cookies that everyone in the house loved.
Red, White and Blue Cake Mix Cookies for 4th of July
- 1 box white cake mix
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 1 egg
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- ¾ cup white chocolate chips
- red and blue food coloring
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, stir white cake mix, butter, egg and almond extract. Divide dough into three (relatively) equal parts and separate into 3 small bowls.
- Add several drops of red and blue food coloring (separately!) to two of the bowls. Keep the third bowl of dough white.
- Add ¼ cup white chocolate chips to each bowl, after the food coloring is completely mixed.
- Refrigerate dough for at least 15-30 minutes, and then roll cookie dough balls and place on an ungreased baking sheet. Flatten balls slightly before putting the cookie sheet in the oven.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes. Allow them to remain on the cookie sheet for another 5 minutes until cooled slightly and firm.
- Makes approximately 2½ dozen cookies.
Enjoy these cookies at your 4th of July BBQ or bring some along to watch the fireworks. But beware…they may be quick and easy to make, but they disappear fast!
Note: it’s hard to get blue and red food coloring quite right (especially red! It always wants to look pink!). I’ve had my best results with gel food coloring. Also, note that I used white cake mix. A yellow cake mix WILL effect your colors. No one wants orange, yellow, and green cookies for the 4th of July! Ha!
© 2013 – 2016, Food Fun Family. All rights reserved.