The kids are finally out of school for the summer and I’m shocked at how fast the time is already flying by. It’s HOT around here, and the boys seem to want to spend their days in one of two places: the pool or the couch playing video games. Sigh.
The 4th of July will be here before we know it, and I can’t wait for the backyard BBQs and our traditional picnic on the grass while we wait for the county fireworks to start. These firecracker popcorn balls (with a fun surprise inside!) are such a fun and tasty treat to take to any Independence Day celebration or get-together this year.
And best part of all, they’re a fun and easy kitchen project that the kids can help with (believe me, they’ll love drizzling the blue and red melted candy coating over the popcorn balls and sprinkling them with red and blue sprinkles…almost as much as they’ll enjoy biting into the popcorn balls and discovering the Pop Rocks inside!
Side note: my kids LOVE Pop Rocks. We go to this local ice cream place and for years the only ice cream any of them would get was vanilla mixed with Pop Rocks. I guess there’s something fun about having your tongue fizzle while you eat, right?
Here’s how easy these popcorn balls are to make! Where would you like to take these treats?
Firecracker Popcorn Balls
1 bag popped popcorn
1 bag marshmallows (10 oz)
Red wafer melts (6 oz)
Blue wafer melts (6 oz)
2 packs blue Pop Rocks
2 packs red Pop Rocks
Red & Blue Sprinkles
1. Melt marshmallows on low heat
2. Mix melted marshmallow with popcorn
3. After cooling a minute, use greased hands to shape gooey popcorn into balls, leaving a hollow pocket inside the ball
4. Fill pocket with 1 tsp Pop Rocks and close hole all the way with more popcorn
5. Melt wafer melts as directed on package
6. Use a fork or a piping bag to spread melted wafers over balls and add sprinkles, if desired
7. Let cool completely before enjoying
Here’s a printable recipe for you. Just click on the image below (don’t right click, because that will save the smaller photo file and won’t print as well). Enjoy!
Firecracker Popcorn Balls
These Firecracker Popcorn Balls are easy to make and so much fun to eat. They're a red white and blue sweet treat with an exciting surprise waiting on the inside of each popcorn ball!
- 1 bag popped popcorn
- 1 bag marshmallows (10 oz)
- Red wafer melts (6 oz)
- Blue wafer melts (6 oz)
- 2 packs blue Pop Rocks
- 2 packs red Pop Rocks
- Red & Blue Sprinkles
- Melt marshmallows on low heat
- Mix melted marshmallow with popcorn
- After cooling a minute, use greased hands to shape gooey popcorn into balls, leaving a hollow pocket inside the ball
- Fill pocket with 1 tsp Pop Rocks and close hole all the way with more popcorn
- Melt wafer melts as directed on package
- Use a fork or a piping bag to spread melted wafers over balls and add sprinkles, if desired
- Let cool completely before enjoying
© 2019, Food Fun Family. All rights reserved.
Leave a Reply