I love fall baking! One of my favorite recipes – one that I grew up eating – is pumpkin pudding cake. It was a regular at all of our fall and winter family gatherings when I was growing up (what I really mean is that someone had BETTER make the pumpkin pudding cake any time there was a get-together or there would be a revolt). I have been making this pumpkin dessert for my own family for nearly 20 years now, and I can’t imagine celebrating Halloween, Thanksgiving, or Christmas without it.
Pumpkin Pudding Cake is made with a pumpkin pie filling, yellow cake mix, and butter – it couldn’t get much easier. I’m not making any health claims here….this dish is pure indulgence. I’ve always thought that pumpkin pie, while tasty, was a little on the boring side, perhaps because I grew up with Pumpkin Pudding Cake. My entire family prefers this over the pie variety. It’s always a winner!
Favorite Family Recipe for the Holidays: Pumpkin Pudding Cake
- 1 yellow cake mix
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 1 (30 oz) can pumpkin pie mix
- ⅔ cup (5 oz can) Evaporated Milk
- 2 large eggs
- Vanilla ice cream or whipped cream to top
- Preheat oven to 350°. Mix can of pumpkin pie mix, eggs, and evaporated milk in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, mix dry cake mix and butter til crumbly. Reserve ½ cup to 1 cup of cake mixture for the top. Line bottom of a 9x13 baking dish with the remaining crumbly cake mixture (no need to press down...just leave it crumbly in the pan).
- Pour the pumpkin mixture on top of the cake mixture, then sprinkle the reserved crumble over the top.
- Bake at 350° for 45 minutes or until set (toothpick or knife inserted near center will come out clean).
- Best served slightly warm with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream on top.
Do you love baking with pumpkin at this time of year? Check out a few of my other seasonal pumpkin recipes:
- Pumpkin Roll with Cool Whip-Cream Cheese Filling
- Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls with Cream Cheese Frosting
- Pumpkin Strawberry Doughnuts
- Pumpkin Spice Snickerdoodles
- Reduced-sugar Pumpkin Chocolate-Chip Cookies
- Glazed Pumpkin Muffins
- Pumpkin Pasties (from Harry Potter)
- Perfect Pumpkin Bread
© 2014, Food Fun Family. All rights reserved.
This looks so yummy, Lolli! Plus, if Grandma made it, we know it’s great!
Thank you for sharing this week at Brag About It link party on VMG206 (Mondays at Midnight).
~ Megin of VMG206
vandy pai says
looks delicious! I’ll have to try this out
We usually have pumpkin pie, I would love to try the pumpkin pudding cake, it looks delicious. Thank you for sharing this recipe.
shelly peterson says
This looks super easy to make and so yummy. I would definitely top it with ice cream.
Karen Glatt says
This is just a fabulous recipe that I think is very easy to make. I love the ingredients in this Cake and am going to try it for the Holidays!!