I love fall baking! One of my favorite recipes – one that I grew up eating – is pumpkin pudding cake. It was a regular at all of our fall and winter family gatherings when I was growing up (what I really mean is that someone had BETTER make the pumpkin pudding cake any time there was a get-together or there would be a revolt). I have been making this pumpkin dessert for my own family for nearly 20 years now, and I can’t imagine celebrating Halloween, Thanksgiving, or Christmas without it.
Pumpkin Pudding Cake is made with a pumpkin pie filling, yellow cake mix, and butter – it couldn’t get much easier. I’m not making any health claims here….this dish is pure indulgence. I’ve always thought that pumpkin pie, while tasty, was a little on the boring side, perhaps because I grew up with Pumpkin Pudding Cake. My entire family prefers this over the pie variety. It’s always a winner!
Favorite Family Recipe for the Holidays: Pumpkin Pudding Cake
- 1 yellow cake mix
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 1 (30 oz) can pumpkin pie mix
- ⅔ cup (5 oz can) Evaporated Milk
- 2 large eggs
- Vanilla ice cream or whipped cream to top
- Preheat oven to 350°. Mix can of pumpkin pie mix, eggs, and evaporated milk in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, mix dry cake mix and butter til crumbly. Reserve ½ cup to 1 cup of cake mixture for the top. Line bottom of a 9x13 baking dish with the remaining crumbly cake mixture (no need to press down...just leave it crumbly in the pan).
- Pour the pumpkin mixture on top of the cake mixture, then sprinkle the reserved crumble over the top.
- Bake at 350° for 45 minutes or until set (toothpick or knife inserted near center will come out clean).
- Best served slightly warm with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream on top.
Do you love baking with pumpkin at this time of year? Check out a few of my other seasonal pumpkin recipes:
- Pumpkin Roll with Cool Whip-Cream Cheese Filling
- Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls with Cream Cheese Frosting
- Pumpkin Strawberry Doughnuts
- Pumpkin Spice Snickerdoodles
- Reduced-sugar Pumpkin Chocolate-Chip Cookies
- Glazed Pumpkin Muffins
- Pumpkin Pasties (from Harry Potter)
- Perfect Pumpkin Bread
© 2014, Food Fun Family. All rights reserved.